Thursday, April 19, 2012

In defense of magic

I am a Harry Potter fan.  Those closest to me know that.  The eternal sadness of the series for me was always that it was fiction.  That there is no magic in the "real world."  But I'm starting to feel differently about that.

For the last few weeks, I have immersed myself in the creative process.  Writing everyday, imagining possibilities, visualizing my life as I want it to be, and becoming unblocked.  I can't believe how the universe has responded.  Julia Cameron quotes "The Work of the Chariot" in The Artist's Way:  "When a man takes one step toward God, God takes more steps toward that man than there are sands in the worlds of time."  You reach out just a bit, and the universe engulfs you with its wonder.  All it takes is faith.  Call it answered prayers, call it magic, but my life has changed because of the creative process.  Cynical?  Yes, Cameron also points out that "possibility is far more frightening than impossibility."

Synchronicity is everywhere.  Have you experienced it?  Prime example.  This week, Monday morning rolls around.  It is the week after Easter and I am tired, looking forward to a full week of school, back to routine, some time to myself.  I am mostly looking forward to getting back to writing.  Between the Girl Scout zoo campout, the Girl Scout Annual Meeting, and the French Quarter Fest, I had no time to do any more writing than the requisite 3 pages in the morning.

Part of this process is not just to create and write but to listen, and media deprivation is part of that.  I spent a little over a week not reading or consuming media--that challenge deserves a post in itself.  I had gotten out of the habit of reading the newspaper, but on Monday morning, media deprivation being over, something drew me to the Living section.  I was mildly interested in its front page, but kept turning the pages as if my hand knew something my conscious mind didn't.  Finally I arrived at the Monday calendar and see a write-up for "The Well", a weekly women's poetry group that meets Mondays from 2-4 in the afternoon.  God looked down on me, heard me beckoning, and said, "Oh, you want to write?  Here you go..."  So I grabbed it.  And thank you Holly for being there and leading me.

I do believe that my hand knew something my mind didn't know yet.  I believe I am receiving the gifts of the Creator faster than I can process them, and to me, this is magic.  Lying in bed the other night, I thought of the singer/songwriter that brought me to tears at the French Quarter Fest, wondering if I could ever do that.  Half asleep, the first line of a song just appeared in my head.  I heard it, I saw it, I even heard the music.  Where did that come from?  All I could do was receive it, go write it down.  Then more images came.  I wrote for half an hour, then went back to bed.

These examples are only the tip of the iceberg of synchronicity at work in my life since I took the first step.  It is solid.  It is moving.  You can't always see it, but it runs deep.

Yes, I'll say it again, I love my life and I love my husband for supporting me in a myriad of ways.  But he didn't do this for me.  I chose this life.  I chose him.  I chose to stay home with my children and basically lie fallow for a few years, recharging, paying attention, wondering what God has in store for me.  Then I was ready, all of a sudden.  The fallow period is over.  Now I choose to believe I am an artist, that we all are.  I choose to create.  And I believe in magic.

1 comment:

  1. Catherine! What an inspirational post! How is the poetry group going? I miss my poetry group so much. I never felt more alive than when I was a part of something that pushed me to be creative. Something that forced me to take the time to sit down and write. To agonize over a word choice. The ideas would come faster than I could process them. Creativity begets creativity. Write on, you beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete