Friday, January 21, 2011

Status Report, and latest favorite snacks

Spiraling up again, slowly.  Back on the thyroid meds at half the original dose.  So far so good.  More energy, but still a little weak.  Mainly trying to eat better, but also gluten free/dairy free, and here are a few of my favorite things!

In the morning:
I just tried cream of buckwheat.  YUM!  Cooked it in almond milk (slightly sweet) and piled it with blueberries and slivered almonds.  Wow.  I have always liked buckwheat and blueberries together, but this was easier and tastier.  And buckwheat is a gluten free food, unlike cream of wheat.  Also tried GF oatmeal, which tastes no different to me, so that's good too.

A hard boiled egg is hard to beat.

In a pinch, Nature's Path GF Organic Crunchy Vanilla Sunrise with coconut or almond milk (unsweetened) with a few nuts and berries sprinkled on top is good, although still processed.

I'm still a sucker for coffee--decaf only.  I use the So Delicious coconut milk creamer--they have plain, hazelnut and french vanilla now.  Lifesaver.  (Or maybe not, but still)

Afternoon snacks:
Of course, LaraBars are a favorite.  But I eat them so much, the sugar is getting to me a little (even though it is only sweetened with dates!)  May need to lay off a little.  I especially like the fruity ones--cherry pie, blueberry muffin, lemon, even key lime pie.

Made my own fresh tomato salsa recently, but I'm having trouble getting it right.  I do like knowing where all the ingredients are coming from.  Any ideas?

Also made some good hummus from frozen chickpeas recently.  The key is getting rid of the shells as much as possible.  Plus I used sunflower seed butter instead of tahini (just cause I like it better) and it gave it a nuttier, slightly sweeter, less bitter taste.  That's a keeper.  The recipe is right on the label.  You just have to warm up the chickpeas.  Sesame rice crackers work well with that.

Speaking of sunflower seed butter--it is divine.  I have some TMJ issues, so nuts and seeds and really crunchy veggies don't always work for me.  So all these nut butters are good--cashew, almond, pecan, walnut.  I have them with celery if I can stand to chew that much, or just GF rice or almond crackers or rice cakes.  For actual nuts, cashews are my favorite.  Soft enough and the perfect taste!

At night--
After dinner, I might sneak a little pinch of Dairy Free Dark Chocolate Dream choc. bar.  Pretty darn good for dairy free.

Coconut milk ice cream is also good.  I especially like just the pure chocolate or vanilla bean.  Simplest is best for my taste buds, I find.

I would love to hear your favorite, quick, easy, GF/DF snacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment