Monday, January 3, 2011

Pay attention and enjoy it!

It's the new year!  I couldn't stand seeing my old post on here anymore, so I have to write something new.


My goal this holiday season was simply to enjoy it.  It's supposed to be fun.  And meaningful, and all that, but above all, you should enjoy it, or what's the point?  Even if you are working hard, generally the goal is to enjoy life, and not necessarily for selfish reasons.  Let me know if that makes sense to anyone else.  I thought it was a pretty reasonable expectation.  Live in the moment, enjoy what is in front of you.  At the very least, pay attention!  If you're not enjoying it, at least try to figure out why, or why you are there in the first place!  This was especially true for food this holiday.

In the beginning of December, my nutritionist and I decided to basically get more food in me. I had lost about 15 pounds by then, and she read me a checklist for malnutrition.  I answered yes to almost every one.  So we scrapped the original food sensitivities test and worked up a new menu list that was MUCH more doable, with lots of added calories and healthy fats and even LaraBars!  Ok, these are my new favorite snacks.  All fruit and nuts, soy free dairy free gluten free snack bars! Plus I've really gotten into coconut milk products--hazelnut creamer anyone?  Otherwise, I was to avoid known recent sensitivities and pay attention to everything else, generally keeping with whole, unprocessed foods.


This is working for me.  One of the things she emphasized was broth.  She even gave me a link:   http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/513-why-broth-is-beautiful.html.  It's a long article, but I finally read the whole thing.  It is pretty fascinating and fits in with a lot of my symptoms and issues.  Here's what I've been doing:

Broth
Save any bones, carcasses, whatever is leftover from a roast chicken or turkey.  Save any vegetable peels, ends, leaves, rinds, etc. that you would normally throw in the trash.  Keep a bag of this stuff (labeled) in the freezer until you are ready to make the broth.  Throw everything in the crock pot, cover it with water.  Heat on low for about 24 hours.  Strain it and cool it in the fridge, unless you want to make a big pot of soup right away.  Just add meat and vegetables and cook it some more!  It should keep for several days.  If you have any left after that, pour it into ice cube trays and freeze it.  Put the cubes in a freezer bag--8-9 cubes is about a cup and you can use it whenever a recipe calls for it.  By the way, don't skim off the stuff that solidifies at the top!  That's the healthy stuff!  Gelatin and whatnot.  It will immediately melt into the broth once it is heated anyway.

I paid attention these few weeks.  I can't tolerate dairy or bread in any significant dose.  I tried gluten free cornbread made with almond milk for the cornbread dressing.  It was not popular, and I didn't tolerate it well anyway.  I ate a lot of things made with cream or cheese or milk at various parties, just to see.  Also, I'm pretty sure something in the ham we bought at the regular grocery store had some nitrates or nitrites or something that didn't agree with me.  Ultimately my throat was constantly sore with post nasal drip, my ears were itchy and stopped up, my skin was itchy, my neck was stiff.  Lots of symptoms I hadn't had for a while.


I'm glad I experimented.  And even though it didn't always work out, I did enjoy myself.  



No comments:

Post a Comment