Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hope, Disappointment, and Renewal

A couple of weeks ago, I got a blood test done to test my ratio of Omega 3s versus Omega 6s, with an eye to taking fish oil to help with many of the issues I've been dealing with, but especially depression and inflammation.  I had heard so much about the benefits of fish oil, how it is supposed to be a miracle cure, and I was so hopeful about it.  Of course my test results showed an unhealthy ratio, so I was advised to take 8 capsules of highly purified fish oil per day.  My doc testified of his own drastic improvement in health since he started, and I was so excited to begin.

I hope that fish oil can really help others.  As for myself, it instantly gave me a sore and scratchy throat, nausea, a cold sweat, and fishy reflux.  Talk about disappointment.  I so wanted it to work!  I get tired of having to think so much about diet and food and symptoms.  I guess I was just hoping for a cure-all so I could avoid the stress and hard work.

Ahhh, such is life.  I gave the pills to my husband, and he is taking them without any side effects.  As it turns out, I may be allergic to all those fish I reacted to on my food sensitivity (IGG) test after all.  I made salmon for the first time since I started this diet a few days ago, and I had the same reaction as I had to fish oil.  

The IGG test seems to be a little worthless.  It was right on some things (salmon--high test sensitivity, high real life reaction), but wrong on most others.  I had a low test sensitivity for dairy, but every time I drink milk or eat cheese (or ice cream, heaven forbid!) my ears stop up, my throat gets sore, and post nasal drip begins.   I tested highly reactive to rice, almonds, lettuce, olives.  I have had no noticeable real life reaction to these things.

It's frustrating and disappointing when things don't work the way they are supposed to.  Test results unreliable.  Miracle cure works for everyone but you.  So where is the renewal?

Well, every time something doesn't work, another opportunity avails itself.  Today I am starting a class on stress and the mind-body relationship.  I am trying not to get too hopeful, because I know things are not going to change overnight, but it's a step in the right direction.  Gaining the skills to get rid of some of the stress in my life will be a valuable thing.

Somehow, life stopped being fun when it was supposed to be.  The things I have chosen to spend my time on have become stressful obligations instead of enjoyable projects.

So my short-term goal is to actually enjoy the holidays.  Novel idea, right?  I'm still trying to think of ways to make that happen.  Any ideas?  Hopefully the stress reduction class will help lighten things up a little.  Long-term, well, I'm still thinking about that.  But I do, once again, have hope.  As my dad used to say, what's the alternative?

No comments:

Post a Comment