Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Good food is good (Pork tenderloin with pears)

The last few weeks have been so crazy busy that the diet has really suffered.  Yesterday, the book fair committee spent the day at school setting up, and we open this morning.  It's a really fun project, probably the least stressful because I have a lot of help and I get to spend my days around two of my favorite things--kids and books.

But the diet suffers.  Over the weekend, my son's birthday party once again had hot dogs (two ways--mummy dogs, and beans and franks), cookie cake, ice cream, chips, the works.  Luckily I had the presence of mind to boil some eggs and defrost a pork tenderloin so it would be ready last night because by then, I needed it!

While we set up yesterday, I pretty much forgot to eat.  I had brought community snacks, but mostly stuff leftover from the party that I wasn't supposed to eat--chips and salsa, crackers and hummus, grapes, trail mix (with m&ms) etc.  Salsa and hummus I can usually handle, but not the bread products and not grapes.  Trail mix is healthy without chocolate, but only palatable with it!  So I snacked all day.  I did start with my 2 boiled eggs, so at least there was a decent protein foundation.  But eventually I was so hungry I gorged on crackers and hummus and grapes.

By the time I got home, my throat was hurting and I was run down.  The pork tenderloin had cooked all day in the slow cooker and smelled so good and wholesome I wanted to cry:

2 small pork tenderloins
2 pears
Salt (generous amount)
1/4 cup of water

I was in such a hurry the morning that I didn't have time to brine the pork, but it was still very good.  Just put the tenderloins in the slow cooker and salt them generously.  Slice two pears and sprinkle them on and around the pork.  Put about 1/4 cup of water in the pot (or less).  Drizzle a little olive oil over the whole mix and cook on low for about 8-9 hours, or on high for 5-6.

When I got home, I sliced and boiled a couple of potatoes, sauteed some spinach in olive oil with garlic powder, salt and lemon juice.  Great meal.  I felt so good afterward knowing I had put good things in my body.

Now what is the plan for today??? Take some leftovers with me.  Have a decent breakfast before I leave the house.  Take some healthy snacks this time!  Carrots work with hummus just as well as crackers, and there are other fruits besides grapes!  And I can come home to eat if I need to.  We do have some breaks in the day.  Tonight...fish, I think!

If anyone is reading this, how do you manage to eat healthy during a really busy week?  Does bad food make you feel run down?  How do you know when you need a cleansing meal?  What is your favorite cleansing, yet filling and tasty, meal?

1 comment:

  1. Oh this sounds soooo good! I love our recipe for Pork Loin with Apples and we'll give yours a try next :)

    ReplyDelete