Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Supersensitive (turkey with plum and sage)

My throat has calmed down some after a few days and being more strict with the diet.  But now I am wondering, does being supersensitive to food translate into being supersensitive to other non-food seasonal allergens?

I noticed my throat pain fluctuated in intensity and changed from being sore and inflamed to scratchy and mildly annoying.  Then my nose started running and eyes watering, sneezing, mild but deep cough (does that even make sense?).  I started to think, "This feels like what I see on a Claritin commercial."  I have never suffered from seasonal allergies before.  Please don't let it be starting now!  And I have 2 cats!  Am I going to start sneezing whenever they are around?

Is this food, seasonal allergy, bacterial infection, virus, or just toxins being released from my system?

On a happier note, I have a terrific turkey recipe that works wonderfully with this diet.  It's so simple, but better than most Thanksgiving turkeys I've tried, and made in the slow-cooker!

This is a Day 3 Recipe, and here's what is available that day:

Proteins:  Soy, Tofu, Tuna, Turkey, Edamame
Starches/Grains:  Lentils, peas, oats, bulgur wheat
Vegetables:  Broccoli, Cauliflower, Watercress, Arugula, Avocado, Tomato, Alfalfa
Fruits:  Apricot, Plum
Dairy:  None
Nuts/Seeds/Oils:  Sunflower Seeds (not oil), Avocado Oil
Flavor Enhancers:  Sage, Basil, Chocolate, Cayenne

I'm still fine tuning it, but the basics are:

2 turkey tenderloins
2-3 plums (any kind) chopped in large chunks with peel
A few sprigs of fresh sage (or dried--but don't overdo it!)
Salt
avocado oil
water

Rinse the turkey, coat with avocado oil and then rub about a teaspoon of salt all over each tenderloin.  Sprinkle each side with some sage, and place in slow cooker.  Add a little water to the pot, about 1/4 cup.  Then dump the plums on top.  Cook on low for 6-7 hours.  

It might be good to brown the tenderloins first.  I haven't tried that yet.  Plus, I might brine my turkey next time to see if I can get it EVEN MORE moist.  Since I can't have sugar, I'll have to use plums in the brine (and sage too).  That could be very good.  I'll let you know how it goes.  It has worked wonderfully for my pork chops.  (That recipe is for another post).

I love it when my food makes me happy AND healthy!  Onward and upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment